Friday, December 2, 2011

How do I defend Andrew Jackson in a mock impeachment trial?

Currently I am on the defense for Andrew Jackson in a mock trial (dated for March 1, 1837) and I am having difficulty coming up with reasons to whether or not he is a Tyrant or a Democrat. I have the role of Lt. Jefferson Davis, who had barely any relations to Jackson before 1837 and there are so many negatives towards Jackson that I very much doubt the defense will win out.





The most difficult parts that I am struggling with are defending his expansion of powers of the executive branch and destroying the separation of powers and also his hesitation on the issue of states' rights.|||I suppose the first step would be to exhume the body...|||Lol, good luck with that one mate.





Try this though: write out all your negative ideas of Jackson and then place yourself in Jackson's and Davis' shoes. Try to envision their responses to the attacks on their policies as well as reasons as to why they choose to pursue those policies.





i.e.





"Jackson created a system of political cronyism while in office!"





-- First off, that statement is critically overblown! I, Jackson, wanted to create an administration of individuals that are able to function as a well oiled machine, embrace teamwork and better achieve our goals as a nation! Futhurmore, a system of political rotation actually prevents political corruption!|||He was a hero on abolishing the Central bank, nowhere mentioned in the Constitution, hence barred by it under the 10th amendment.





However, I don't see a defense on Trail of Tears. "Let [the Supreme Court] enforce its judgment." is not legally persuasive.





Still, that bank bit was a biggee.

No comments:

Post a Comment